June 4, 2018Studentship, what an exciting period! A huge number of new friends, new subjects, new possibilities to show yourself. Time passes cheerfully and pleasantly.At this very time, there are some things in university life that make students fall into despair. One of those things is a coursework. Why do students hate it so much? Is it very hard to write? Should students have some professional skills to do that? Actually, they don’t! Everything is much easier than you think!
What is English GCSE or English IGCSE coursework and why is it so important?GCSE is a General Certificate of Secondary Education. This certificate is awarded to a student after he or she has undertaken a course on a particular subject (of a student’s choice), passed an examination, and completed a coursework on the same. IGCSE is, in turn, the certificate, which can be awarded to international students.Excellent GCSE coursework is a must for every student who strives to enroll in higher educational establishments since it reveals a student’s knowledge and language skills. Also without a high grade for the project, one can hardly enter the training courses or get a good job both in the United Kingdom and abroad. Since English is a mandatory subject, a student will have to lay oneself out to get a good grade for a project on it. Among other advantages, a coursework gives a great opportunity to enrich one’s vocabulary, enhance writing skills, and express views and thoughts on the topic.
What are English language GCSE coursework requirements?The requirements for both GCSE and IGCSE have become more strict in 2012. Earlier a student had to complete a paper at home, and thus, he or she could get help from friends, relatives, teachers, and, finally, custom writing services. Such paper is now supposed to be written under the supervision of tutors in an attempt to prevent students from cheating. However, the system has one omission. It does not offer the proper supervision for distant learners.Speaking of the international students or those whose primary language is not English, it is worth noting that they are not expected to write an IGCSE English coursework or any other controlled assignments. However, if a student is willing to complete it, he is allowed to do that. There are some other differences between GCSE and IGCSE exams. For example, students taking IGCSE are not supposed to pass an oral examination. They will have to showcase their writing skills only, which are accurate grammar, punctuation, spelling as well as skills in essay constructions. Also, adults willing to pass the exam are allowed to take only IGCSE even if they are native speakers.Some students prefer control assessment because it gives a false idea of security. One might think that if he writes under the supervision of a tutor, he will definitely get an A since a tutor will monitor the whole process of paper completion and perhaps even help to carry out some parts of it. However, soon enough he gets to know how much efforts it actually takes.
Tips for writing A2 English language courseworkBefore starting to write, take the following recommendations into consideration:
- The word limit of a project must be 4,000 words. Get beyond this limit, and you might lose quite a few marks.
- Support your ideas and thoughts with arguments and analysis. The mere assertions like “I think…”, “As far as I know” or “It seems to me that…” won’t do for your A2.
- All your ideas outlined in the introduction must be supported throughout the whole piece.
- When writing an English coursework, descriptive writing is preferable. That is to say, you should use primarily adjectives, varied sentence structures, and sentence length.
- In Evaluation part, state how each of the sources contributed to your investigation. Again, a statement like “This source is trustworthy because it is written by the well-known writer" can hardly benefit your paper.
- Before setting to work, check the rubric. In such a way, you will be aware of the general requirements and allocation of marks according to different criteria. In sum, you will know what the examiners are looking for and what they set high a high value on.
- Write drafts. One draft will not be sufficient. Working on the paper you will be able to get back to the previous draft to see whether you have not lost your train of thought. It is not a rare case with many students to make changes in the paper in the course of completion due to new data emergency or the work’s main objective shift, for example.
- Focus on your writing skills. Needless to say that in year 11, writing skills should be more honed than they were in the year 10. Thus, work on a text structure, use various sentence types and sentence starters, pay attention to the spelling of complex words and punctuation, and try to make the paragraphs different in length. The format of the paper is no less important, so consider improving it if you are not sure you acquit yourself of paper formats well.
- Do not hesitate to ask your teacher for a help anytime you feel like it. He or she is a person who is truly interested in you getting a high grade. Also, this person is aware of your strengths and weaknesses, and thus, can hint you at what you should do to master a writing assignment.
Helpful English A2 coursework ideasA2 has 3 modules, one of which is a project which should be focused on a language investigation topic. As the writing module is worth 30% of the overall mark, you should give much attention to this assignment. At this point, the right choice of a topic is the matter of great significance. Here, we will share several ideas for the A2 project, which you can research or use as the basis for thinking of your own topics.
- How did language change in advertisement and what are the language techniques, which make people want to buy a product?
- How does the gift of eloquence help politicians to get people’s approval?
- How did the non-formal speech influence the formal one in the course of time?
- How has the language of classical literature changed?
- How does the informal speech of teenagers on the Internet influence their educational performance in language classes? What are the positive and negative effects of such a jive talk?
- Usage of various language techniques to convey humor in American and British sitcoms.
- Comparison of a language of heroes and villains in animated films.
- Comparison of characters’ speech in literature and television.
- Comparison of language usage in a family and among friends.
- Comparison of a language used in male and female magazines. How does it influence the real manner of interaction between genders?
How to do an English coursework?Every paper should be well-structured, and this type of paper is not an exception. Every work includes major sections like an introduction, several body paragraphs, conclusion, and reference list.Probably the most onerous question for every student is how to start English coursework. This question is of great importance because if you start writing your paper in a wrong way, the chances you end up with a bad paper eventually are rather high. First of all, you have to concentrate on writing your English coursework proposal. You should define the aim, the purpose, the focus, and the data of your paper. At the same time, we would recommend taking all material on the topic into consideration, even if it is not very suitable for your work. While copying the material, don’t forget to mark which sources you took the information from.
How to write English coursework introduction?If you are racking your brain on the question of how to write an English coursework introduction, look through the following recommendations:
- Firstly, you have to prepare a clear topic and an outline before writing. The topic is usually agreed upon in advance with a teacher or professor. During the conversation with the teacher, try to write down what he/she wants you to pay attention to and what aspects must be considered.
- Keep in mind that the introduction is an important part of any writing piece since a reader may not want to continue reading if the beginning of the work is dull and talks of some hackneyed things.
How to organize body paragraphs properly?In body paragraphs, you should focus on data and researches that you investigate for this particular project. It is worth noting that the body is the smooth continuation of the introduction. Mind that every paragraph should state the idea or argument supported by at least one example and several supporting sentences. Yet, do not simply restate what has already been said.It is also worth noting that you should figure out how to write English coursework before getting down to work to avoid multiple rewritings. For example, in what manner you have to write your work, what is the approximate word count, which indents must be around the edges, in what format your paper should follow, etc. We imperatively recommend you to check this article and look through the main points, because the first impression of your work depends exactly on these very items.
What should be included in English coursework conclusion?Keep in mind that you should avoid simply restating what has been said before in the paper. It is essential for the conclusion to answer the question posed in the introduction clearly. Summarize your ideas and make sure that your last paragraph sounds interesting and relevant because when a teacher finishes reading the whole work, the conclusion will be most fresh in his mind when assessing the paper.When finishing the basic paragraphs, carefully study the written material, analyze whether it reveals the main idea of your work, compare it to the draft to check if you have not wandered off the initial set outline, check if all the paragraphs are consistent, and remove the information that is being repeated.
How to write a bibliography for English coursework?Although one should always strive to write a paper in his own words, citation of reliable sources will support your thoughts and arguments. Sometimes, quotes are essential for making your writing sound academic. The best way to write a bibliography is to keep track and take notes of each source you are going to use in your work. Each source of your bibliography should include the following: name of the author, date of publication, the title of the book/journal or any other source you took information from, place of publication, publisher, and a number of pages. Of course, sometimes, some of these items may be omitted or, vice versa, something can be added.When writing an English coursework bibliography or reference list, mind that it can look differently depending mostly on the paper format you are following. One more important rule to abide by is to assemble a final reference list in alphabetical order. If you use Internet sources or any sources that might not have an author, list them in alphabetical order. Once you have completed the bibliography list, check the whole work carefully, primarily the word count, formatting style, citations, and the writing itself.
How to write English literature coursework?We have already discussed some general rules on how to complete a top-notch English project. Yet, a coursework on literature is a bit different as it requires a thorough reading of the literature piece you need to write about.
- Firstly, choose the type of literature work (like drama, poetry, or prose) that you want to investigate.
- Secondly, gather information of the critical kind from the reviews.
- Analyze the collected reviews on a literature piece.
- Finally, write a paper in a simple and easy manner so that the reader could get your ideas.